ST JOHN & ST STEPHEN’S CHURCH
Parish of St John the Evangelist, Reading.
Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy
Church Safeguarding Officer
For DBS checks
Revd. Claire Alcock
Registered body for DBS Disclosures
The Parish of St John and St Stephen
PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
The PCC of this Church agreed and adopted the following Policy on Safeguarding and Child Protection at a meeting held on 19 February 2024.
- We are committed to:
- the care of, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with, all children and all adults
- creating a safe and caring place for all
- the safeguarding and protection of all children, young people and adults when they are vulnerable
- the establishing of safe, caring communities which provide a loving environment where there is a culture of ‘informed vigilance’ as to the dangers of abuse.
- We will carefully select and train all those with any responsibility within the Church, in line with safer recruitment principles, including the use of Disclosure and Barring Service criminal records checks.
- DBS Disclosures should be renewed every five years for those in the same role.
- We will respond without delay to every complaint made which suggests that an adult, child or young person may have been harmed, co-operating with the police and local authority in any investigation and we will have a clear reporting procedure in place. We will seek to:-
- work with anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with him or her an appropriate ministry of informed pastoral care. We will listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse
- offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our Church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
- care pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse or other affected persons
- respond to those that may present a risk to others.
- protect children and adults when a safeguarding issue of any kind arises
- challenge any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of trust.
- Report to the diocese any matters involving church officers and to seek guidance for appropriate action in every reported event
- We will ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- We will advise the Diocese which Registered Body we use to process applications for Disclosure and Barring Service criminal records checks.
- We will advise the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser if we receive a Disclosure which is ‘blemished’ or ‘positive’.
- We will review this policy annually, check that our policies are up to date, and supply a copy of the updated policy statement to the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser. We will ensure that all church officers, group leaders and PCC members have read and understood this policy. Safeguarding is a standing item at PCC meetings.
- We will have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- We will display in Church premises, on the safeguarding noticeboard and on the front page of the parish website the details of whom to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
In all these principles we will follow statute, guidance and recognised good practice, maintaining confidentiality throughout.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this Church.